Deserted Ghost Towns
People are always fascinated by unrevealed secrets, and abandoned towns provide them with a new portion of a mystery. If you are an adventurous person, then following locations are must see places for you.
- Chinguetti, located in Mauritania, is a historical trading center, which is nowadays famous for old libraries and a stunning mosque. In the 13th century, Chinguetti was a fundamental site for trading and religious worship of the Islam. If you are willing to feel the atmosphere of this deserted town, it is imperative to ride a camel through the labyrinths of the lanes.
- Ukrainian Pripyat is a ghost town famous for being abandoned after the explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. Although the city is preserved, due to the high levels of radiation, no one can reside there. However, if you want to encounter the creepy scenes of Pripyat, you are supposed to obtain a special permit from the Ukrainian government and take an organized tour.
- If you look for amazing holiday destinations, a gold-mining town Bodie, situated in California, will be quite perfect. Bodie looks like a scene from the westerns, and due to the California State Parks System, it preserved its original appearance from the late 1800s. Additionally, during your trip, the former locals cordially share ghost stories about this place.
- Namibian Kolmanskop is a true ghost town, abandoned within 40 years after its construction. At present, the desert swallows the city up, by covering it with sand. However, it is still possible to wander a sandy town.
- Consonno, located in Italy, is a dilapidated city, which had to become the second Las Vegas. An Italian businessman, Mario Bagno, wanted to turn Consonno into a tourist attraction, but his plan was doomed to failure. Due to the disaster in 1976, the construction of the city came to a dead stop. Later, it functioned as a care home, but only until 2007. Unfortunately, it is inaccessible to the tourists.
- Michigan Central Station is a deserted railway station in Detroit. The station, built in 1913, was supposed to become a gateway to the Middle West, but due to the economic collapse of Detroit, it never became true. However, Michigan Central Station is a location used to shoot Hollywood movies, including Four Brothers and Transformers.
- One of the fascinating places to visit is an Italian Lake Reschen. It is probably renowned for the bell tower, which is located in the middle of the lake. In 1939, the authority wanted to unite two natural lakes and flood the villages, Graun and part of Reschen. As a consequence, in 1950, 163 houses and 523 hectares of the fields sank in the lake. So, seize an opportunity to wander over the frozen lake.
- Oradour Sur Glane is a French village, abandoned in 1944. It is famous for being a relic of the World War II. It serves as a touching reminder of the atrocious wartime.